Mary Badger and Elizabeth Harrold rent a small house in Edgbaston, Birmingham for the education of six blind children.
Image: Miss Mary Badger.
The Birmingham Institution for the Blind formally established as a public Charity. The school moves to larger premises and now supports 25 children.
Image: Mr. Thomas Goodman. Chairman and Honorary Treasurer, 1848 to 1874.
Two acres of land leased in Carpenter Road, Edgbaston for the purpose of building a new school.
Image: School class.
The cornerstone of the new school is laid and the completed school opens in July 1852, having cost £7000.
Image: The Birmingham Royal Institution for the Blind. Senior school for boys and girls.
The first pupil from the school gains employment at a salary of £20 per year.
Image left: The General Institution for the Blind, Edgbaston about 1853 from architect's water-colour drawing.
Image right: Staff and pupil.
Instruction to blind adult people in their own homes introduced and the first blind tutor - a former pupil - is appointed.
Image: Basket making department.
More workshop accommodation and a library is added.
Image: Brush and wicker workshop.
The use and training in Braille is introduced for the first time.
Image: Louis Braille.
A gymnasium, new kitchens and storerooms added to the school and workshops enlarged and improved. The number of pupils now exceeds 100.
Image: Using Braille today.