skip to main content


How do I donate to BRIB?              
If you would like to make a donation, please send it to our Administrator using the details on the Contact page. We hope to have the option to make online donations soon.  As a charity, we rely on the generosity and support of individuals wanting to help us continue the work we do. We appreciate all levels of support and there are many ways you can help us.

Can I find any information about a relative that attended the school?
Generally records are only kept as long as they are used and in accordance with data protection laws.  However some old records were found and these were passed to Birmingham Archive Service based at Birmingham Library.  BRIB itself no longer holds any student records.

 What is Braille?
Braille is a tactile reading and writing system used by blind and visually impaired people who cannot access print materials. Characters are represented by patterns of raised dots designed to be read by the fingers.

 How do I register as blind or partially sighted?
You must visit an eye specialist (ophthalmologist) to start the process of registering with your local authority as sight impaired (partially sighted) or blind (severely sight impaired). Focus Birmingham offers support, information and advice on sensory loss issues. Their helpline number is 0121 478 5222.

Why should I register as blind or partially sighted?
By registering your sight loss with your local authority you may be eligible for a number of concessions. It may also be easier for you to prove your sight problem when claiming certain benefits.

Where can I find a school for my blind or partially sighted child?
Many blind and partially sighted children are educated in mainstream schools, or in special schools that do not specialise in visual impairment.  Your local sensory support service can provide information about provision in your area.

 For details of schools which cater for children with visual impairment and additional needs such as autism, communication difficulties and physical disabilities please visit the RNIB’s specialist schools and colleges in the UK directory.

How do I get a guide dog?
Contact Guide Dogs, so they can arrange a meeting with you to discuss your needs and how they can help.
0345 1430229


Where is my nearest resource centre?
There are a number of independent local sight loss societies and resource centres around the UK that sell products or lend equipment that can help you live independently. The RNIB’s Sightline Directory can help to find your nearest local society or resource centre by entering your postcode and the search words ‘local society’ or ‘resource centre’.

 In addition to visiting your local resource centre, Queen Alexandra College (QAC) is the organiser of Sight Village – the premier event for blind and partially sighted people, bringing together leading providers of products and services all under one roof. Each year thousands of people visit these events to find out at first hand the latest technology, products and support services available to people who are blind or partially sighted. Exhibitors include charities, commercial companies and voluntary organisations from across the UK, Europe and the world. In addition to the main show in Central England, QAC host a number of roadshow events in cities such as London, Leeds, Manchester, Exeter, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Admission is FREE to all events.

What are differences between the four types of white cane?
Symbol Canes let other people know that you have a visual impairment by holding the cane in front of you. It’s particularly useful in busy and crowed places.
Guide Canes not only tell others that you have a visual impairment but help you to find obstacles and objects in front of you such as steps and kerbs. It can be held diagonally in front of you and provide some protection when on a street from being bumped or jostled.
Long Canes tend to be the best known type of white cane. It requires training and can be used by rolling or tapping from side to side, as you walk, to help you find and avoid obstacles.
Red and White Canes indicate that you have a hearing impairment as well as sight loss. All cane types are also available with red and white banding.

How do I learn how to use a white cane?
You can receive training through your local authority's sensory support team. Local sight loss societies may also offer a range of support services.

Where can I get a white cane?
Your local social services should be able to provide you with a cane for free and give you appropriate mobility training so that you know how to use one to get about safely.

Once you have received your appropriate mobility training you may choose to buy a white cane from Queen Alexandra College (QAC) who are the UK distributor of Revelation Advantage Carbon Fibre Canes.

What sports are suitable for blind and partially sighted people?
With some small changes, most sports should be accessible to you if you have sight loss. British Blind Sport enables blind and partially sighted people to have the same opportunities as sighted people to access and enjoy sport and recreational activities in the UK.

  • Copyright BRIB 2018,
  • Registered Charity Number 516477,
  • Registered Company Number 1900123